Falk Marine Gear Drives
Where Durability Runs Deep
Nowhere is equipment durability more crucial to a company’s survival than on the world’s waterways... where crews and schedules depend on reliable power.
For more than 85 years, Rexnord has been rewriting the record books for longevity in marine propulsion.
From the heavy-duty gear sets and extended-life bearings, right down to the design and construction of our application-engineered housings, Falk Marine Drives are built to be the most reliable solutions afloat. That’s why demanding work boat manufacturers, owners and operators demand Falk.
MRH Series Marine Gear Drives
Our power is more than proven. It's guaranteed. Rexnord is so confident in the quality and reliability of our products that we are the only manufacturer to offer a 3-Year Warranty—standard—on all our marine drives.
For over 15 years, MRH reverse reduction gear drives have been delivering the same kind of reliable performance and extended operating life customers have come to expect from the extensively proven MR Series. The MRH Series’ internal hydraulic clutches and shaft brakes combine to produce the fastest reversing speeds available today, while maintaining smooth engagements and power transfer for more precise, predictable maneuvering.
• Sizes up to 7500 hp
• Ratios from 2:1 to 7:1
• Internal hydraulic clutches
• Internal hydraulic shaft brakes
• Surface-hardened, carburized
and ground gearing
Configure vertically, horizontally or concentrically offset between the input and output shafts.
Exclusive continuous-slip speed control and Engine Torque-up System are available.
MR Series Marine Gear Drives
Falk MR reverse reduction gear drives have been Working the Water ™ for more than 40 years. Our highly reliable external air clutches and conservative bearing design have resulted in vessels achieving in excess of 100,000 hours of service. Today, the MR Series continues to set the standard for power transmission longevity in work boats around the world.
• Sizes to 5000 hp
• Ratios from 2:1 to 8:1
Falk Airflex Clutches
precision ground gearing
• Extended-life roller bearings
Falk Marine Gear Drives Custom Drives
Name your drive challenge, our marine experts thrive on coming up with design solutions that work... and that last.
• Experienced provider of practical solutions in
CODAD, CODOG, COGAG, Father-Son, Diesel,
Gas Turbine, Electric and Steam applications
• Sizes over 50,000 hp in any ratio
Marine Gear Drive Clutches
We come through in the clutch. Superior clutch technology redefines maneuverability.
In those instances where only the highest level of control will do, nothing comes close to our innovative hydraulic marine drive clutch system. Featured in every MRH drive, this clutch system is available with two unique options.
Engine Torque-Up Control
• Allows engine to produce more torque in a shorter time period
to complete vessel reversals faster
• Reduces load on propulsion system components during reversals
• Maintains shaft brake engagement during initial clutch engagement
Continuous Slip Control System
• Enhances control of medium and high speed diesel engines
• Closed loop speed control allows the propeller shaft speed
to go down to zero RPM at engine idle
• Ensures that the selected propeller speed is maintained
regardless of wave, wake or current conditions
• Allows operator to perform docking procedures or handle
fishing nets more precisely and predictably... without
continually shifting from “Ahead” to “Neutral”,
or “Ahead” to “Astern”
• Offers unlimited slow speed operation because heat
generated under slow speed conditions is carried away
by the cooling oil and is dissipated in the reduction gear
How Slip Control Works
• Push a button on the control handle to engage,
then move the handle forward or aft to the desired
• As the handle stroke is increased, shaft speed
is increased while the engine remains at idle speed
• When the handle moves past the Slip Mode range,
the hydraulic clutch is fully pressurized as the
engine begins to accelerate
• When not needed, switch off; the clutch fully pressurizes,
allowing the engine to accelerate normally when
shifted from neutral
Control handle configuration showing Slip and
Lock-Up speed ranges
Control handle configuration showing Lock-Up mode only
Marine Gear Drive Upgrades and Replacements—Easily Upgrade When Re-Powering
For over 40 years, MR reverse reduction gear has been a mainstay on workboats. Now, it is easy for MR-equipped workboats to upgrade to MRH performance characteristics. Should you need to re-power, exact, drop-in replacements for MR drives are available which allows you to easily incorporate MRH performance advantages.
• Specially designed drives offer exact drop in replacement, complete with the same
horizontal or vertical off-set and footprint as existing MR drives
• Includes carburized and ground gearing and our state-of-the-art clutch technology
for improved performance
• Available with Continuous Slip Control System for slow speed maneuvering and
Engine Torque-Up Control for faster reversals
• Hydraulic brake features silent, smooth engagement, without all the
maintenance hassles of conventional line shaft brakes
Insist on genuine Falk quality for all your replacement components. When it comes to repairs, operators and port engineers demand original OEM components to maintain the legendary reliability of our MR reduction gears.
• ABS approved
• 2-Year Warranty
• Falk Airflex clutches have a long proven history of
dependable operation with excellent torsional
• Fast reversal times and high cycle shifting are
the result of our unique friction linings and clutch
• Our friction linings exhibit more consistent engagements under varying conditions,
maintaining high coefficients of friction against our cast steel drums
• Our unique fan design coupled with our Airflex clutch allows continued slip
operation for slow speed maneuvering, as well as high cycle capability
Exchange Clutch Program
• Manufacturing and design advancements enhance load distribution, smoothness of operation and clutch life
• Use of re-certified existing rims results in significant cost savings
• Features the same 2-Year Warranty as the original Falk Airflex clutch
• Available through your authorized Rexnord Marine Distributors